|MOLDOVA: BOTNA BASIN
BASIN of Botna River - the biggest water source of the area, with headspring in Ialoveni Rayon, is located in the Central part of Republic of Moldova. Ialoveni City is placed 11 km from Chisinau. The surface of the rayon makes up 783km2, lands represent 78347,11 ha, about 67, 94 % are agricultural surfaces. Forest fond is about 14321 ha. Texture of ground is represented by light and medium lowland. The fertile layer is between 0,7-2,0 m (deepest layer in Central Europe). The main sources of water the rivers Botna & Isnovet which cross the district, and also 68 storage lacks, used for irrigation and fish ponds. In the last years is perceive an increase in the development of tourist services and recreation zones. The population of the district constitutes 98,00 thousand inhabitants, app. 84,9 % of them are concentrated in rural areas, 64,7 % are economically active. The priority sectors are represented by agriculture. In all sectors of the Ialoveni District are registered 19 200 economic agents, 18 145 (app. 95 %) of them being farm peasants cropping grains, vegetables, fruit and grapes.
- There is no efficient instrument of water pollution control in rayon(district);
- Weak infrastructure of sewer, water purification and waste processing;
- Old type of water management in agriculture;
- Intensive consumption of water reserves and returning in environment being non-treated.
Objectives of the water-sensitive area in EU.WATER project:
- Achieving a GIS map of sensitive areas used to frame a strategy to prevent water pollution in Ialoveni Rayon and related to the EU standards;
- A bio-remediation pilot action in Bardar village by fixing an installation for retaining the float rubbish (filter for rough cleaning). Entail stakeholders in activities for sanitation in target zone.
- Finding ways and solutions to optimize consumption and good quality of water in agriculture, industry and households.
- Promoting a new technologies and new productive system in agriculture;
- Promotion and dissemination of the actions on environment protection among the local population;
- Benefit from the know-how transfer of good practices in water management from EU countries.
- A regional legal instrument for agriculture management based to optimize water consumptions and reducing water pollution in Ialoveni rayon;
- A database and a map with the information about the polluted areas in our rayon;
- A feasibility study as a base for future projects (with costs of investments and the impact to the environment).
- Reduction of water pollution with float rubbish by 80% in Pojareni and Costesti villages